2023 Grand Marshall: Decorated American War Hero
Dan Shew was born August 10, 1946 in Johnson City, Tennessee. He grew up in the family home with his mom, dad, and 5 brothers and sisters. One brother, Tim Shew, is a current member of the Springville Rodeo Board
- United States Marine Corp veteran served in Vietnam from June 1966 to July 1967
- Stationed at Camp Pendelton until released from service in 1968
- Moved to Porterville in December 1968 because of a marine buddy, Tom White.
- Rode his first bareback bronc in the last Porterville Rodeo at Rockey Hill
- Competed in the Springville Rodeo in 1970 and 1971
- Worked for Clark Wicks, packing in the High Sierras in the summer and cattle ranches in the winter from 1969-1971
- Member of the Springville Rodeo color guard and led parade every year. He will be leading the parade this year mounted on his horse with the American flag as our Grand Marshall
- Rode in Porterville veterans day parade in the color guard for many years.
- Member of the VFW and past member of the Springville Rodeo Board
- Reopened Balch Park Pack Station and Quaking Aspen Pack Station in 1979. Changed name of Quaking Aspen Station to Golden Trout Wilderness Packtrains
- Sold the pack station business in 2005
- He was in the cattle business for 42 years
- Married in 1984 and raised two daughters in the mountains, Sierra and Sonnie
- Three grandsons Silas, Seth and Owen
A Marine veteran who loves his country and small town Springville, Dan Shew is the essence of a true American who served his country with honor, treasures his family and friends, and is a real American cowboy.